1) THE INDIAN HISTORICAL REVIEW. v. 23, nos. 1-2 (Jly 1996 & Jan 1997). Including P.N. Sahay's 19 pages of "Select Bibliography on Indian Freedom Struggle"
2) THE INDIAN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL HISTORY REVIEW. v. 35, no. 2 (Ap-Je 1998).
Including David Baker's review of Nandini Sundar's book on Bastar History
titled "Subalterns and Sovereigns". Full
Table of Contents at
3) SOCIAL SCIENTIST. v. 25, no. 5-6 (May-Je 1997). Including Suvira Jaiswal's
article on "Caste: Ideology and context" and book reviews of "Ecological
Imperialism" and KK Sharma's "Peasant Struggle in Bihar."
4) GUIDE TO INDIAN PERIODICAL LITERATURE. v. 35, no. 1. Jan-march 1998.
5) CONTRIBUTIONS TO INDIAN SOCIOLOGY. New Series, v. 31, no. 1-2, 1997. Including Meena Khandelwal's "Ungendered atma, masculine virility and feminine compassion: Ambiguities in renunciant discourses on gender," p. 79-107. Including reviews of books by Veena Das, M.N. Srinivas, Amita Baviskar, T.N. Madan (ed. Muslim communities), Harold Gould, Gadgil and Guha (Ecology), van Woerkens (Thugs), and Pathak (Contested domains).
BOOK REVIEW. v. 21, 1997. Including to double length (60+ p)
issues celebrating 50 years; also
Brinda Bose on Subaltern Studies IX (Je p. 5; comments on
Ajay Skaria's piece); Romila Thapar, Andre Beteille, etc. for the
double August issue; S. Gopal, Dilip Menon (reviewing Sarkar's WRITING
again) in the double September issue; and Suni Dasgupta (Oct p. 5;
reviewing Tharoor's INDIA). See Bose's review of Subaltern IX at
7) ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL WEEKLY - 1998.
Received - May 2 through July 11 1998. Or 11 issues.
May 9, 1998
**1998 Elections in West Bengal : A Major Setback for Left Front --Ranajit Das Gupta, p. 1113-1118.
May 23-239 1998
6 articles on "Nuclear nationalism: a fatal attraction"
**State Repression and People's Resistance: Assessing Social Transformation in Bihar -- Prakash Louis, 1228-1230.
**Globalisation and Culture --Adam Hochschild, 1235-1241.
**Marxist-Thompsonian Social History (Review of Sarkar's Writing SH) --Achin Vanaik, 1242-1244
May 30 1998
**Limits of Colonial Science (Review of Deepak Kumar's Science and the Raj) --Tirthankar Roy, 1319-1320
June 13 1998
**Time for Introspection: Portents of Bathe --Subash Gatade, 1442-1443
**If Wishes were horses: Jehanabad and Dhanbad Struggles in Bihar --Krishna Chaitanya, 1482-1484
July 11 1998
**Obituary: Ashin Das Gupta (1932-1998) --Rudrangshu Mukherjee, 1807
**New Political Trends in Uttar Pradesh: The BJP and the Lok Sabha Elections, 1998 --Sudha Pai, 1841-1845
Back to the top
South Asia Books and Journals